Please review and correct the information below.

Assessing Your Care Needs

In order to receive services from the council, you must have an assessment of your care needs. This helps the council to understand the type and level of support that you need. 

What is a Care Needs Assessment?

Think of the assessment as a conversation about your health and wellbeing. You can choose to start this conversation now by completing the online needs assessment. This gives the Adult Services Team vital information about you and the type of support you need. Alternatively you can contact the Adult Services on 01724 297000 and arrange for an assessment in person.

Who can receive support?

To make access to social care fair across the country, the Care Act 2014 sets out criteria for who is eligible to receive care services.

The national guidance states that you have to meet three criteria.

You must:

  • have needs arising from a physical or mental impairment
  • not be able to meet two or more of the 'Eligibility Outcomes'
  • be experiencing a significant impact on your wellbeing because of this.

You also may be classed as meeting the criteria if:

  • you cannot reach the outcome without assistance
  • you can reach the outcome, but this causes you significant pain or stress
  • you can reach the outcome but it puts your health and safety at risk
  • you can reach the outcome but it takes you much more time and effort than would be expected.

Eligibility outcomes

As previously mentioned, following is a list of the eligibility outcomes. To be eligible for care services, you must be unable to meet two of the following outcomes because of a mental or physical impairment and this must be negatively affecting your wellbeing.

The criteria are:

  • managing and maintaining nutrition
  • maintaining personal hygiene
  • managing toilet needs
  • being appropriately clothed
  • being able to make use of your home safely
  • maintaining a habitable home environment
  • developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
  • accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
  • making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community including public transport, and recreational facilities and services
  • carrying out any caring responsibilities that you have for a child.

Paying for your services

Adult Social Care services are not free, but you may be able to access financial help towards the cost of your services.

If you do not require financial assistance, you are free to privately purchase any care services that you need. We have guidance and advice available for people who self-fund their care.

What happens if I am not eligible for support?

If you have care needs, but are not at the point where you receive a care package from the council, you are still able to privately purchase care services. Your key worker will be able to advise you of services available, or you can check out our marketplace to see what is available.

Please remember that your assessment is based on your current situation. If your needs become more severe, you are entitled to be reassessed.

Last reviewed: 14/03/2018

Contact Details

01724 296607

Adult Information Service
Hewson House 
Station Road
North Lincolnshire
DN20 8XQ

Opening Hours

Monday to Thursday: 9am to 5pm

Friday: 9am to 4.30pm