Skip to content
Please review and correct the information below.

Independent Financial Advice

Planning your finances

It is important to think about planning for changes in our lives, including any care and support you may need. It is really important to get independent financial advice so that you can make balanced and reasoned decisions.

Adult Services can offer advice, support planning and assessment regardless of your financial circumstances. We always try and support you to live in your own home for as long as you wish.

Why should I get independent financial advice?

Independent financial advisers can advise on how you can make your money work best for you to help cover any long term care costs.

It can be difficult making life changing decisions by yourself, so with the support and input of an independent adviser, you will be better placed to make a balanced and informed decision.
One of the advantages of getting advice from an independent financial adviser who has specialist knowledge is that they are able to assess your specific circumstance in full and can make sure you are claiming all the benefits and allowances you are entitled to.

Is there a charge for getting independent financial advice

Many independent financial advisers do charge either a fee or commission, so it is important that you ask them when you first speak to them.

  • Many advisers do offer an initial free consultation - once again, it is important you ask them at the beginning so you are clear about any fees or charges there may be.

How can I find a financial adviser?

North Lincolnshire Council cannot recommend any particular adviser or advice service and it is important that you satisfy yourself that an adviser is properly qualified to give advice, however we have listed some services below to help you get started:

The Society of Later Life Advisers

The Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA) helps people to find independent financial advisers who specialise in the financial needs of older people.

All advisers on the database have to prove that they meet appropriate criteria and have the right qualifications before they are accredited by SOLLA.

To find a local SOLLA registered adviser visit the Society of Later Life Advisers website.

Paying for Care

Paying for care is a website that offers advice on care costs and planning for care. They also allow you to search for local care fees advisers.

For more information visit the Paying for Care website.

The Money Advice Service

The Money Advice Service was set up by the Government, and offers impartial and unbiased money advice and information to help you make the most of your money, whatever your circumstances.

To find out more, visit the Money Advice Service website.

My Care, My Home

My Care, My Home is an organisation that provides support and guidance to people who fund their own care.

The initial assessment, information and advice is free. However, other chargeable services are provided - but these are explained at the start.

They can offer telephone advice or do home visits.

To contact them, call 0800 731 8470 or fill out their contact form on the My Care, My Home website.

Last reviewed: 26/07/2017